hbase-user mailing list archives

From Pal Konyves <paul.kony...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Linux kernel recommendations for HBase 0.94.2
Date Tue, 02 Apr 2013 22:05:38 GMT
I think the newer kernels in the last several years contain mostly new
features/drivers rather than optimizations. Plus JVM puts another
abstraction between the application and the kernel which makes which makes
any kernel specific consideations in terms of HBase much less sensible.
I don't think you will see any different between 3.8 and 3.2.

Unfortunatelly I'm not a kernel tuning guy. It's a nice idea to tune the
kernel for an application, and you may gain some performance in some cases,
but in my opinion it's unlikely that you get e.g. more than a couple
percentage of performance gain overall. Good performance comes from good
program. If you wish to tune, probably go for I/O specific settings. What I
can recommend  however is to recompile the kernel for your CPU, that way
some CPU specific instructions can bring some performance.