hbase-user mailing list archives

From Christophe Taton <ta...@wibidata.com>
Subject Re: Interactions between max versions and filters
Date Fri, 05 Apr 2013 22:22:38 GMT
On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 3:05 PM, Stack <stack@duboce.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 11:19 AM, Christophe Taton <taton@wibidata.com
> >wrote:
> > Is there an explicit specification of the behavior of max versions (set
> in
> > a get/scan) when combined with filters?
> > From my experiments (with 0.92 CDH4.1.2), the max versions is applied in
> > way that is neither pre-filtering nor post-filtering.
> > In particular, I am currently playing with the ColumnPaginationFilter,
> and
> > I am not entirely certain I understand the intended/expected behavior.
> > I also did not find an explicit specification in the reference user guide
> > nor in the API javadoc.
> >
> Sounds like a bug.  My understanding is that the regardless of filters, max
> versions should be respected (Yes, we should have a specification but we do
> not have one here).

Should it be respected as:
 - a post-filtering max-versions : there should be max-versions cells
returned per column to the user (ie. potentially a lot more cells processed
on the region server to fill in the allowed max-versions cells requested)
 - a pre-filtering max-versions : there should be up to max-versions cells
processed per column within the regionserver, and submitted to additional
custom filtering (ie. potentially less or no cells returned to the user)
 - something else?

Thanks for your answer,