hbase-user mailing list archives

From shawn du <shawndow...@gmail.com>
Subject schema design: rows vs wide columns
Date Sun, 07 Apr 2013 08:03:24 GMT
Hello,

I am newer for hbase, but i have some experience on cassandra. In the
official document, it is said prefer to use rows instead of columns. I
don't know whether I should follow.
This is my user case:
I have about hundreds of services. each service is stored by a
number(service id). we try to store users registration for specific service
in a day.
so there are two solutions for this:
rows:
rowkey: month(2013-03) columns will be each service ids. values will be the
number for each service.
wide columns:
rowkey: serviceId, columns/values will be months and numbers.

Query requirement:
we only query for a specific service id and time between a start time and
end time.

so which solution is better?

also another question:
it is said that we 'd better desgin less than 3 column families. it is
true? can i create as many as tables i need in hbase?

Thanks in advance.

BR.Shawn