hbase-user mailing list archives

From John Foxinhead <john.foxinh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Re: While starting 3-nodes cluster hbase: WARN org.apache.zookeeper.ClientCnxn: Session 0x0 for server null
Date Tue, 30 Apr 2013 09:24:42 GMT
I solved my problem with zookeeper. I don't know how, maybe it was a spell
xD
I made this way: on a slave i removed the directory of hbase, and i copied
the diectory of hbase-pseudo-distribuited (which works). Then i copied all
the configurations from the virtual machines which runned as master in the
new directory, making it distribuited. Then i cloned the virtual machine 2
times, i made some configuration in and in /etc/network/interfaces file to
set the proper IP on the VMs, and then zookeeper magically worked. All the
configuration were the same. Maybe i made some wrong configuration in some
OS file, or there was some rubbish left by the hundreds of tries i made on
the master. Then, changing the VMs working as master solved my problem.
Now:
- I start HDFS with "$ ~/hadoop-1.0.4/bin/start-dfs.sh"
- i try some command from hadoop shell to ensure it works (I found out that
the directory on local fs that datanodes and namenode use as storage-space
for HDFS' files' blocks need to has permission 755, otherwise, even if
permission are larger, when you put a file in HDFS, the file in HDFS is
created, bit it's content isn't tranferred so when you get the file you
find out that the file is empty)
- i start zookeeper on my 3 VMs with "$ ~/hbase-0.94.5/bin/hbase-daemon.sh
start zookeeper" and i wait 2-3 minutes to be sure zookeeper completely
started. Then i check in logs for some errors or warning, and i use "$
~/hbase-0.94.5/bin/hbase zkcli" with some "ls" to ensure the client connect
on zookeeper on the right node and port (2181). Related to zookeeper i
found out that with HBASE_MANAGE_ZK=true in hbase-env.sh file, there was an
error because zookeeper does't have time to set up properly before hbase
master is launched. So, with a lot of VMs (i use 3, and they are a lot)
it's better set HBASE_MANAGE_ZK=false and start it manually on the nodes so
that you can wait until zookeeper is set up, before launch master.
- All works properly until now so i start hbase with "$
~/hbase-0.94.5/bin/start-hbase.sh. Now the output shows that master launch
also regionservers on regionservers' nodes (good, because before it showed
only that the master was launched on localhost, but nothing about
regionserver). When i see the logs file on both master and regionserver's
logs directory it shows that hbase daemons connect  properly on the
zookeeper cluster reported in zookeeper.property.quorum (or something
similar) property in hbase-site.xml and the port also is right (2181, the
same used by the tool zkcli).

Now the problem is that master starts on localhost:60000, not at
namenode:60000, so on master node it's ok, but when regionserver try to
connect to master at localhost:60000 they don't find (naturally) nothing at
it's launched MasterNotRunningException, so that regionserver, after
connecting to zookeeper, crash because of that.
I found out in logs file on regionserver that they connect to zookeeper
cluster and then they crash because they don't find a running master on
localhost:60000, so it's right. But the strange thing is that in conf files
i never used "localhost". I also tried so set the property hbase.master at
namenode:60000, but this property isn't used from years, so it doesn't work
anymore. What can i do?