hbase-user mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: schema design: rows vs wide columns
Date Mon, 08 Apr 2013 11:17:28 GMT
StAck,

Just because FB does something doesn't mean its necessarily a good idea for others to do the
same.  FB designs specifically for their needs and their use cases may not match those of
others.

To your point though, I agree that Ted's number of 3 is more of a rule of thumb and not a
hard and fast number. I think that the wording in that section should be changed.  (I may
take a stab at it later today...)

In our HBase course, I teach an example of an Order entry system. (Order, Pick, Ship, Invoice)
There are 4 column families in that example. To your point, in the use cases, the CFs are
usually used in an atomic fashion. When I do a pick slip, I don't need to constantly reference
the order, except when I initially create the Pick Slip(s).

The larger question in terms of design, should you use a CF to segment your data if you're
constantly pulling data from both CFs in your main use case, or should they be part of the
same table?

 -Mike