hbase-user mailing list archives

From Akshay Singh <akshay_i...@yahoo.com>
Subject Disabling balancer permanently in HBase
Date Sun, 07 Apr 2013 22:14:26 GMT

I am trying to permanently switch off the balancer in HBase, as my request distribution is
not uniform across the data.

I understand that this can be done by, setting balance_switch to false in hbase shell

hbase(main):023:0> balance_switch false

However, value of balance_switch is reset back to true.. every time I restart the HBase cluster
(which cannot be avoided in my deployment scenario).

So my question is : Is there a way to permanently/persistently disable the hbase balancer
? I could not find a property for this balance_switch.

I though of one possible solution, which is to set 'hbase.balancer.period' property to '-1'..
but it does not seems to work.

Looking for suggestions.