hbase-user mailing list archives

From Lukáš Drbal <lukas.dr...@gmail.com>
Subject Rowkey design and presplit table
Date Mon, 04 Mar 2013 10:48:53 GMT
Hi,

i have one question about rowkey design and presplit table.

My usecase:
I need store a lot of comments where each comment are for one article and
this article has one category.

What i need:
1) read one comment by id (where i know commentId, articleId and categoryId)
2) read all coments for article (i know categoryId and articleId)
3) read all comments for category (i know categoryId)

>From this read pattern i see one good rowkey:
<categoryId>_<articleId>_<commentId>

But here i don't have fixed size of rowkey, so i don't know how to define
split pattern. How can be this solved?
This id's come from external system and grow very fast, so add some like
"padding" for each part are hard.

Maybe i can use hash function for each part
md5(<categoryId>_md5(<articleId>)_md5(<commentId>), but this rowkey is very
long (3*32+2 bytes), i don't have experience with this long rowkeys.

Can someone give me a suggestions please?

Regards

Lukas Drbal