hbase-user mailing list archives

From Michel Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: HBase type support
Date Sat, 16 Mar 2013 12:26:40 GMT
I also want to add that you could add MD5 and SHA-1, but I'd check on us laws... I think these
are ok, however other encryption/decryption code is not.

They are part of the std sun java libraries ...

Mike Segel

On Mar 16, 2013, at 7:18 AM, Michel Segel <michael_segel@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Isn't that what you get through add on frameworks like TSDB and Kiji ? Maybe not on the
client side, but frameworks that extend HBase...

> Mike Segel
>
> On Mar 16, 2013, at 12:45 AM, lars hofhansl <larsh@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> I think generally we should keep HBase a byte[] based key value store.
>> What we should add to HBase are tools that would allow client side apps (or libraries)
to built functionality on top of plain HBase.

>> Serialization that maintains a correct semantic sort order is important as a building
block, so is code that can build up correctly serialized and sortable compound keys, as well
as hashing algorithms.

>> Where I would draw the line is adding types to HBase itself. As long as one can write
a client, or Filters, or Coprocessors with the tools provided by HBase we're good. Higher
level functionality can then be built of on top of HBase.

>> For example, maybe we need to add better access API to the HBase WAL in order to
have an external library implement idempotent transactions (which can be used to implement
2ndary indexes).
>> Maybe some other primitives have to be exposed in order to allow an external library
to implement full transactions.
>> Or we might need a statistics framework (such as the one that Jesse is working on).
>>
>> These are all building blocks that do not presume specific access patterns or clients,
but can be used to implement them.