hbase-user mailing list archives

From Kim Duffy <kimdhamil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HBase Client.
Date Wed, 20 Mar 2013 07:28:55 GMT
#1. I once compared rest/stargate to an equivalent java client and measured significant overhead
in the former, mostly due to stringifyFilter (my workload was scan with filter heavy). That
can likely be optimized but the point remains: everything else will give you some overhead
and with the java client you can tune the most performance nobs.

In addition to your custom programs, I recommend using HBase's built-in PerformanceEvaluation
tests for measuring raw read/write throughput. The can be useful for investigating whether
your benchmarking programs themselves are causing performance overhead.

On Mar 20, 2013, at 12:00 AM, Viral Bajaria <viral.bajaria@gmail.com> wrote:

> Most of the clients listed below are language specific, so if your
> benchmarking scripts are written in JAVA, you are better off running the
> java client.
> HBase Shell is more for running something interactive, not sure how you
> plan to benchmark that.
> REST is something that you could use, but I can't comment on it's
> performance since I have
> HappyBase is for python.
> Kundera, can't comment since I have not used it.
> You can look at AsyncHBase, if you don't mind wrapping your head around it.
> But it's a bigger rewrite since the API is not compatible with existing
> client.
> On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 11:25 PM, Pradeep Kumar Mantha <pradeepm66@gmail.com
>> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>        I would like to benchmark HBase using some of our distributed
>> applications using custom developed benchmarking scripts/programs.
>> I found the following clients are available. Could you please let me
>> know which of the following provides best performance.
>> 1. Java direct interface to  HBASE.
>> 2. HBase Shell
>> 3. via Rest
>> 4. HappyBase
>> 5. Kundera
>> Please let me know if there is any other client which provides better
>> performance.
>> thanks
>> pradeep

View raw message