hbase-user mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HBase type support
Date Sat, 16 Mar 2013 05:45:10 GMT
I think generally we should keep HBase a byte[] based key value store.
What we should add to HBase are tools that would allow client side apps (or libraries) to
built functionality on top of plain HBase.

Serialization that maintains a correct semantic sort order is important as a building block,
so is code that can build up correctly serialized and sortable compound keys, as well as hashing
algorithms.

Where I would draw the line is adding types to HBase itself. As long as one can write a client,
or Filters, or Coprocessors with the tools provided by HBase we're good. Higher level functionality
can then be built of on top of HBase.

For example, maybe we need to add better access API to the HBase WAL in order to have an external
library implement idempotent transactions (which can be used to implement 2ndary indexes).
Maybe some other primitives have to be exposed in order to allow an external library to implement
full transactions.
Or we might need a statistics framework (such as the one that Jesse is working on).

These are all building blocks that do not presume specific access patterns or clients, but
can be used to implement them.

As usual, just my $0.02.

-- Lars