hbase-user mailing list archives

From Ulrich Staudinger <ustaudin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How would you model this in Hbase?
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2013 07:26:12 GMT
>  On 02/06/2013 01:49 PM, Michael Segel wrote:
>
>> Overloading the time stamp aka the versions of the cell is really not a
>> good idea.

Fully agree.

>  Yeah, I know opinions are like A.... everyone has one. ;-)

Yeah, but some people share one.

>  But you have to be aware that if someone decides to delete some data...
>> well one tombstone marker for the column, goodbye all of the versions of
>> the cell.
>> (Any ideas on a clean easy way to remove that tombstone?  ;-)
>>
>> You're better off using other methods of adding dimension to your cell.
>> One that works well is using Avro.
>>

>>> All the usual caveats apply: don't bother with HBase unless you've got
>>> some serious size in your data (e.g. TB) and need to support a heavy load
>>> of real-time updates and queries. Otherwise, go with something simpler to
>>> operate like a relational database, couchdb, etc.

While this is a valid point for just storing it and working on your own
with data, there are reasons why you want to choose a data integration
platform (more on this later).

Back to the root discussion.

Why don't you simply identify the six different types of information per
number:

- figure name (unemployment)
- month (reporting)
- release date
- figure
- revision date
- revised figure

the key would be:
<figure name>_<month>

en voila.

I strongly advise against "overloading" the timestamping/versioning feature
of hbase.

You would still have to load the entire series and sort it by what you
like, but that's not a problem with hbase.

<snip>
Thinking in ActiveQuant, you would store each of the columns above through
it's IArchiveWriter. Then you can seamlessly view/chart it in the
ActiveQuant Master Server, making it available over CSV and SOAP to your
corporate intranet or to Excel through the AQ plugin.
</snip>

--
Ulrich Staudinger

http://www.activequant.org