hbase-user mailing list archives

From Enis Söztutar <enis....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HBase without compactions?
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2013 01:15:06 GMT
>From some of their presentations, I've gathered that they implement
B-Tree's instead of LSM's on top of their file system which allows random
writes. They also claim that they are converting random mutation requests
to the B-Tree leafs to sequential-writes. They are also talking about
mini-WALs to do this, so there might be mini-LSM's going on. Not sure.

Any case, agreed with, if there are LSMs there are compactions. LSM vs
B-Trees tradeoff's are well understood.