hbase-user mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: HBase without compactions?
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2013 06:47:28 GMT
Well

M7 is supposed to be in open public beta,  I think.

I haven't had time to play with it, but MapR has a lot of nice features that can't really
be done in HDFS.
Its basically the benefits of being almost POSIX compliant.

The reason I mention M7 is that they supposedly get rid of compactions, however I havent seen
it in action.

In theory I can see this happening because you have a rw filesystem so why would would you
need to have a write only file  and then compaction where the write only files merge?

I would imagine with some thought and time, HDFS could evolve to this ...

Its an interesting evolution on MapR's part and you have to give those guys credit for doing
something cool.