hbase-user mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Get on a row with multiple columns
Date Sat, 09 Feb 2013 05:34:45 GMT
Everything is stored as a KeyValue in HBase.
The Key part of a KeyValue contains the row key, column family, column name, and timestamp
in that order.
Each column family has it's own store and store files.

So in a nutshell a get is executed by starting a scan at the row key (which is a prefix of
the key) in each store (CF) and then scanning forward in each store until the next row key
is reached. (in reality it is a bit more complicated due to multiple versions, skipping columns,
etc)

-- Lars
________________________________
From: Varun Sharma <varun@pinterest.com>
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Sent: Friday, February 8, 2013 9:22 PM
Subject: Re: Get on a row with multiple columns

Sorry, I was a little unclear with my question.

Lets say you have

Get get = new Get(row)
get.addColumn("1");
get.addColumn("2");
.
.
.

When internally hbase executes the batch get, it will seek to column "1",
now since data is lexicographically sorted, it does not need to seek from
the beginning to get to "2", it can continue seeking, henceforth since
column "2" will always be after column "1". I want to know whether this is
how a multicolumn get on a row works or not.

Thanks
Varun