hbase-user mailing list archives

From Tacit <arthur_bak...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: HBase on Windows 7: Master not running error
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2013 11:20:01 GMT
I've been trying the things suggested under quickstart, but to no avail so
far. One question before getting into more detail: the quickstart section
doesn't mention a hbase-default.xml file in the /conf directory in HBase,
only the hbase-site.xml file. The installation instructions I followed
earlier, however, do involve the hbase-default.xml file.

When trying to get HBase running as a standalone as detailed in the
quickstart section, should the hbase-default.xml file be there (and
configured according to http://hbase.apache.org/cygwin.html) in the /conf
directory of HBase? Or should only the hbase-site.xml file be there,
adjusted according to the quickstart section?

Maybe it's a stupid question, but I'd like to get that cleared up so I have
a better idea of what to do. I've tried running HBase both with and without
the hbase-default.xml configuration file present in /conf after following
the instructions under the quickstart section. Those 2 cases generate
different errors and I'm not sure which case to look at.

In either case, using process explorer to look at the processes yields the
same result. Starting HBase with start-hbase.sh temporarily generates a
bunch of processes, of which 2 bash.exe processes (each with a child
java.exe process) remain. From the process information, one bash process is
a zookeeper instance and the other a master instance. After about a minute
or two, the bash.exe process associated with the master seems to remove/kill
itself. Trying to run commands in the hbase shell then yields the same