hbase-user mailing list archives

From Rob Styles <...@dynamicorange.com>
Subject Pre-split Region Boundaries
Date Fri, 25 Jan 2013 14:45:50 GMT
Hi,

I'm tuning hbase for storage of a few billion rows and, more or less, bulk

I'm using MD5 strings as row ids to create an evenly distributed range and
non-sequential values during loading and this is working relatively well
for us.

I've pre-split my tables using org.apache.hadoop.hbase.util.RegionSplitter
from the command line and had expected it to create regions covering 00000
- fffff as per the docs. My regions come out different though, before

With 200 regions the first region ends with 00a3d70a and the regions go up
from there. The last region has a start key of 7f5c28c6 which is only
half-way through the address space. This means my last region gets hot
during loading.

I know I must have missed something but not sure what. Any help greatly
appreciated.

thanks

rob