hbase-user mailing list archives

From Anoop Sam John <anoo...@huawei.com>
Subject RE: HBase - Secondary Index
Date Wed, 09 Jan 2013 03:22:12 GMT
Totally agree with Lars.  The design came up as per our usage and data distribution style etc.
Also the put performance we were not able to compromise. That is why the region collocation
based region based indexing design came :)
Also as we are having the indexing and index usage every thing happening at server side, there
is no need for any change in the client part depending on what type of client u use. Java
code or REST APIs or any thing.  Also MR based parallel scans any thing can be comparably
easy I feel as there is absolutely no changes needed at client side.  :)

As Anil said there will be pros and cons for every way and which one suits your usage, needs
to be adopted. :)

-Anoop-
From: anil gupta [anilgupta84@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2013 6:58 AM
To: user@hbase.apache.org; lars hofhansl
Subject: Re: HBase - Secondary Index

+1 on Lars comment.

Either the client gets the rowkey from secondary table and then gets the
real data from Primary Table. ** OR ** Send the request to all the RS(or
region) hosting a region of primary table.

Anoop is using the latter mechanism. Both the mechanism have their pros and
cons. IMO, there is no outright winner.

~Anil Gupta

--
Thanks & Regards,