hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jean-Marc Spaggiari <jean-m...@spaggiari.org>
Subject Re: Is it necessary to set MD5 on rowkey?
Date Thu, 20 Dec 2012 01:11:48 GMT
Hi Mike,

If in your business case, the only thing you need when you retreive
your data is to do full scan over MR jobs, then you can salt with
what-ever you want. Hash, random values, etc.

If you know you have x regions, then you can simply do a round-robin
salting, or a random salting over those x regions.

Then when you run your MR job, you discard the first bytes, and do
what you want with your data.

So I also think that salting can still be usefull. All depend on what
you do with your data.

Must my opinion.

JM

2012/12/19, Michael Segel <michael_segel@hotmail.com>:
> [...]
>
> So you use a random byte or two at the front of the row.
> How do you then use get() to find the row?
> How do you do a partial scan()?
>
> Do you start to see the problem?
> The only way to get to the row is to do a full table scan. That kills HBase
> and you would be better off going with a partitioned Hive table.
>
> Using a hash of the key or a portion of the hash is not a salt.
> That's not what I have a problem with. Each time you want to fetch the key,
> you just hash it, truncate the hash and then prepend it to the key. You will
> then be able to use get().
>
> Using a salt would imply using some form of a modulo math to get a round
> robin prefix.  Or a random number generator.
>
> That's the issue.
>
> Does that make sense?
>

> On Dec 19, 2012, at 3:26 PM, David Arthur <mumrah@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Let's say you want to decompose a url into domain and path to include in
>> your row key.
>>
>> You could of course just use the url as the key, but you will see
>> hotspotting since most will start with "http". To mitigate this, you could
>> add a random byte or two at the beginning (random salt) to improve
>> distribution of keys, but you break single record Gets (and Scans
>> arguably). Another approach is to use a hash-based salt: hash the whole
>> key and use a few of those bytes as a salt. This fixes Gets but Scans are
>> still not effective.
>>
>> One approach I've taken is to hash only a part of the key. Consider the
>> following key structure
>>
>> <2 bytes of hash(domain)><domain><path>
>>
>> With this you get 16 bits for a hash-based salt. The salt is deterministic
>> so Gets work fine, and for a single domain the salt is the same so you can
>> easily do Scans across a domain. If you had some further structure to your
>> key that you wished to scan across, you could do something like:
>>
>> <2 bytes of hash(domain)><domain><2 bytes of hash(path)><path>
>>
>> It really boils down to identifying your access patterns and read/write
>> requirements and constructing a row key accordingly.
>>
>> HTH,
>> David
>>
>> On 12/18/12 6:29 PM, Michael Segel wrote:
>>> Alex,
>>> And that's the point. Salt as you explain it conceptually implies that
>>> the number you are adding to the key to ensure a better distribution
>>> means that you will have inefficiencies in terms of scans and gets.
>>>
>>> Using a hash as either the full key, or taking the hash, truncating it
>>> and appending the key may screw up scans, but your get() is intact.
>>>
>>> There are other options like inverting the numeric key ...
>>>
>>> And of course doing nothing.
>>>
>>> Using a salt as part of the design pattern is bad.
>>>
>>> With respect to the OP, I was discussing the use of hash and some
>>> alternatives to how to implement the hash of a key.
>>> Again, doing nothing may also make sense too, if you understand the risks
>>> and you know how your data is going to be used.

MD5

and

I want to