hbase-user mailing list archives

From Mohammad Tariq <donta...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Reg:delete performance on HBase table
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2012 16:34:09 GMT
Hello Manoj,

     When a Delete command is issued , no data is actually deleted
instantaneously. Instead a tombstone marker is set, making the deleted
cells effectively invisible.

The tombstone markers are only deleted during major compactions (which
compacts all store files to a single one), because in order to prove that a
tombstone marker has no effect HBase needs to look at all cells.

HBase periodically removes deleted cells during compactions.

HTH

Regards,
    Mohammad Tariq