hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Kevin O'dell" <kevin.od...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Data Locality, HBase? Or Hadoop?
Date Mon, 03 Dec 2012 15:08:29 GMT

  If you have disabled the balancer and are manually moving regions, you
will need to run a compaction on those regions.  That is the only(logical)
way of bringing the data local.  HDFS does not have a concept of HBase
locality.  HBase locality is all managed through major and minor

On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 10:04 AM, Jean-Marc Spaggiari <
jean-marc@spaggiari.org> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm wondering who is taking care of the data locality. Is it hadoop? Or
> hbase?
> Let's say I have disabled the load balancer and I'm manually moving a
> region to a specific server. Who is going to take care that the data
> is going to be on the same datanode as the regionserver I moved the
> region to? Is hadoop going to see that my region is now on this region
> server and make sure my data is moved there too? Or is hbase going to
> ask hadoop to do it?
> Or, since I moved it manually, there is not any data locality guaranteed?
> Thanks,
> JM

Kevin O'Dell
Customer Operations Engineer, Cloudera