hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Mesika, Asaf" <asaf.mes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using HBaseAdmin.getAlterStatus
Date Sun, 09 Dec 2012 21:02:45 GMT
Yeah, I forgot to mention that important bit:
the pair returned is always 0 on the firstKey and never changes.

So if I understand you correctly, I need to use get AlterStatus between the modifyTable and
enableTable ?

On Dec 9, 2012, at 10:53 PM, Harsh J wrote:

> Can you clarify on what "doesn't work" a bit more?
>
> Do you get an exception or are you not receiving some data that you
> are expecting?
>
> AFAICT, this API is helpful for a parallel monitoring of an issued
> schema update. In your code bits, which I will assume is serial, you
> already disable-update-enable table and complete the alter transaction
> before querying it (such that there isn't any pending operation to
> report). If the querying is done in a parallel process/monitor thread,
> then you may see in-flight results.
>
> On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 2:04 AM, Mesika, Asaf <asaf.mesika@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've tried using HBaseAdmin.getAlterStatus to check on a HBaseAdmin.modifyTable command
I've issued, but it doesn't work.

>> Sample Code:
>>
>> Modifying Table
>>                tableDescriptor = admin.getTableDescriptor(tableNameBytes);
>>                if (tableDescriptor.hasCoprocessor(observerClassname)) {
>>                    logger.info("Coprocessor installed already. Removing to update
jar location in any case");
>>                    tableDescriptor.removeCoprocessor(observerClassname);
>>                }
>>                tableDescriptor.addCoprocessor(observerClassname, hdfsJarPath, RegionObserver.PRIORITY_USER,
null);

>>                logger.info("Disabling table "+tableName);
>>                admin.disableTable(tableNameBytes);
>>                logger.info("Modifying table "+tableName);
>>                admin.modifyTable(Bytes.toBytes(tableName), tableDescriptor);
>>                logger.info("Enabling table "+tableName);
>>                admin.enableTable(tableNameBytes);
>>
>> Using alterStatus
>>                byte[] tableName = it.next();
>>                try {
>>                    Pair<Integer,Integer> alterStatus = admin.getAlterStatus(tableName);
>>                    if (alterStatus.getFirst() == alterStatus.getSecond()) {
>>                        it.remove();
>>                        logger.info("Table "+Bytes.toString(tableName)+" was altered
successfully. "+notLoadedTables.size()+" tables remaining...");
>>                    } else {
>>                        if (logger.isDebugEnabled()) {
>>                            logger.debug("Table "+Bytes.toString(tableName)+" was
not yet altered. Alter Status: "+
>>                                    alterStatus.getFirst()+" regions altered, "+alterStatus.getSecond()+"
total regions on table");
>>                        }
>>                    }
>>                } catch (IOException e) {
>>                    throw new RuntimeException("Failed getting alter status for table
name: "+Bytes.toString(tableName));