hbase-user mailing list archives

From Brennon Church <bren...@getjar.com>
Subject Re: HBase table affinity to host(s)
Date Sat, 22 Dec 2012 07:01:39 GMT
I do allow regions from other tables on the newer servers.  The issue
stems from a single table that habitually causes hot regions. Not such a
problem on the new servers, but when those regions hit the older systems
bad things happen.  I think the proper long-term solution is to change
the code writing to the table, but that's not something that can be done
right now, so I'm looking for the second best option.

The HBASE-6721 option sounds perfect, if I'm reading it correctly. It
doesn't quite fit my use case, but would solve the problem regardless.

If I understand the balancer part correctly, a possible but ugly (IMHO)
option would be to move the region(s) causing trouble over to the more
powerful servers then disable automatic balancing.  Would region splits
then remain on the same system as the original region?  If so, it would
work around the problem but at the expense of having to manually move
regions around more frequently to keep everything else balanced.

Thanks.

--Brennon