hbase-user mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <lhofha...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Is it necessary to set MD5 on rowkey?
Date Thu, 20 Dec 2012 02:06:01 GMT
Mike, please think about what you write before you write it.
You will most definitely not need a full table scan (much less a *FULL* *TABLE* *SCAN* ;-)
).

Read Alex's blog post again, it's a good post (IMHO). He is talking about buckets.

-- Lars

________________________________
 From: Michael Segel <michael_segel@hotmail.com>
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 5:23 PM
Subject: Re: Is it necessary to set MD5 on rowkey?

Ok,

Lets try this one more time...

If you salt, you will have to do a *FULL* *TABLE* *SCAN* in order to retrieve the row.
If you do something like a salt that uses only  a preset of N combinations, you will have
to do N get()s in order to fetch the row.

This is bad. VERY BAD.

If you hash the row, you will get a consistent value each time you hash the key.  If you
use SHA-1, the odds of a collision are mathematically possible, however highly improbable.
So people have recommended that they append the key to the hash to form the new key. Here,
you might as well as truncate the hash to just the most significant byte or two and the append
the key. This will give you enough of an even distribution that you can avoid hot spotting.

So if I use the hash, I can effectively still get the row of data back with a single get().
Otherwise its a full table scan.

Do you see the difference?

On Dec 19, 2012, at 7:11 PM, Jean-Marc Spaggiari <jean-marc@spaggiari.org> wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> If in your business case, the only thing you need when you retreive
> your data is to do full scan over MR jobs, then you can salt with
> what-ever you want. Hash, random values, etc.
>
> If you know you have x regions, then you can simply do a round-robin
> salting, or a random salting over those x regions.
>
> Then when you run your MR job, you discard the first bytes, and do
> what you want with your data.
>
> So I also think that salting can still be usefull. All depend on what
> you do with your data.
>
> Must my opinion.
>
> JM
>
> 2012/12/19, Michael Segel <michael_segel@hotmail.com>:
>> Ok...
>>
>> So you use a random byte or two at the front of the row.
>> How do you then use get() to find the row?
>> How do you do a partial scan()?
>>
>> Do you start to see the problem?
>> The only way to get to the row is to do a full table scan. That kills HBase
>> and you would be better off going with a partitioned Hive table.
>>
>> Using a hash of the key or a portion of the hash is not a salt.
>> That's not what I have a problem with. Each time you want to fetch the key,
>> you just hash it, truncate the hash and then prepend it to the key. You will
>> then be able to use get().
>>
>> Using a salt would imply using some form of a modulo math to get a round
>> robin prefix.  Or a random number generator.
>>
>> That's the issue.
>>
>> Does that make sense?
>>

>> On Dec 19, 2012, at 3:26 PM, David Arthur <mumrah@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Let's say you want to decompose a url into domain and path to include in
>>> your row key.
>>>
>>> You could of course just use the url as the key, but you will see
>>> hotspotting since most will start with "http". To mitigate this, you could
>>> add a random byte or two at the beginning (random salt) to improve
>>> distribution of keys, but you break single record Gets (and Scans
>>> arguably). Another approach is to use a hash-based salt: hash the whole
>>> key and use a few of those bytes as a salt. This fixes Gets but Scans are
>>> still not effective.
>>>
>>> One approach I've taken is to hash only a part of the key. Consider the
>>> following key structure
>>>
>>> <2 bytes of hash(domain)><domain><path>
>>>
>>> With this you get 16 bits for a hash-based salt. The salt is deterministic
>>> so Gets work fine, and for a single domain the salt is the same so you can
>>> easily do Scans across a domain. If you had some further structure to your
>>> key that you wished to scan across, you could do something like:
>>>
>>> <2 bytes of hash(domain)><domain><2 bytes of hash(path)><path>
>>>
>>> It really boils down to identifying your access patterns and read/write
>>> requirements and constructing a row key accordingly.
>>>
>>> HTH,
>>> David

it is good method
If I want to