hbase-user mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <lhofha...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: How to design a data warehouse in HBase?
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2012 07:09:10 GMT
For OLAP type queries you will generally be better off with a truly column oriented database.
You can probably shoehorn HBase into this, but it wasn't really designed with raw scan performance
along single columns in mind.

________________________________
 From: bigdata <bigdatabase@outlook.com>
To: "user@hbase.apache.org" <user@hbase.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 9:57 PM
Subject: How to design a data warehouse in HBase?

Dear all,
We have a traditional star-model data warehouse in RDBMS, now we want to transfer it to HBase.
After study HBase, I learn that HBase is normally can be query by rowkey.
1.full rowkey (fastest)2.rowkey filter (fast)3.column family/qualifier filter (slow)
How can I design the HBase tables to implement the warehouse functions, like:1.Query by DimensionA2.Query
by DimensionA and DimensionB3.Sum, count, distinct ...
>From my opinion, I should create several HBase tables with all combinations of different
dimensions as the rowkey. This solution will lead to huge data duplication. Is there any good
suggestions to solve it?
Thanks a lot!