hbase-user mailing list archives

From Lashing <lss...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Region server heap used memory usage?
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2012 17:33:06 GMT

Thanks for the detail explanation. BTW, are there any rule of thumb for how large should I
reserve for those "in flight" memory ?

> So are you looking at the total process size (e.g. top) or are you looking at the amount
of memory the jvm says it is using (e.g. jmap -heap <pid>)?

> If you are looking at the process size (top) jvm doesn't ever give memory back so over
time the process will just get bigger and bigger as it will spike in size before garbage collection
can kick in an free enough memory.  If you are looking at jvm memory used then it will use
the memory you said + everything else "in flight".  Stuff "in flight" includes any memory
for the IPC running, memory for return values, memory for compactions, memory for general
bookkeeping, etc.  The biggest ones would be return values (and put values) for IPC and memory
used for compactions.