hbase-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis.gospodne...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Compaction throttling and per-region compaction automation
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2012 19:06:45 GMT
Thanks Jeremy (I see you everywhere I turn!)

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-5867 sounds like there is
compaction throttling in 0.96.0, no?

Lucene faces very similar problems as HBase, I think.
* An index has multiple segments.
* Files are added, not modified.
* Deletions are markers/tombstones.
* Optimization process purges deletes and rewrites segments.

But there are some other options like:
* Optimize only partially, not all the way down to just 1 segment, but down
to N
* Only expunge deletes, don't actually merge segments and rewrite them to
disk
* Pick segments with most deletes first
* Throttle IO
   See

http://search-lucene.com/c/Lucene:core/src/java/org/apache/lucene/store/RateLimiter.java

http://lucene.apache.org/core/4_0_0/core/org/apache/lucene/store/RateLimiter.html

http://lucene.apache.org/core/4_0_0/core/org/apache/lucene/index/TieredMergePolicy.html
    http://search-lucene.com/?q=throttle+merge&fc_project=Lucene

Maybe some of the above is "borrowable" if throttling has not been
implemented yet.

Otis