hbase-user mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Nosqls schema design
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2012 14:55:23 GMT
Ok...

First, if you're estimating that the raw data would be 10TB, you will find out that you will
need a bit more to handle the data in terms of indexing and denormalized structures.

The short answer to your question is yes, you can do it.

Longer answer...

You can bake a solution in both a relational and HBase/NoSQL solution, however, you will be
close to hitting the ceiling on RDBMS and you will be spending a fortune on licensing and
hardware.

If you want to do this in terms of HBase, you can.

Most of the queries are straight forward, however you will be duplicating data.

The interesting query:
> - All users that have commented a page W and liked a page P.

This will require a map/reduce job to produce an answer.  Well maybe not if you're using secondary
indexing techniques. Then it would be an intersection of two result sets to give you the final
set of users.

HTH