hbase-user mailing list archives

From Lars George <lars.geo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HBase:The Definitive Guide book
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2012 14:26:48 GMT
Heh Mike, it is aaaall for fame and glory....

The book is fairly current since I did target 0.92 of Hbase, and only a few things have changed
since that would warrant an update. I am waiting for a 1.0 release now, which might be a renamed
0.96 if all agree. But until then I will wait and track what is going on.

Please note that I track the API changes on public classes with JDiff and update http://hbasebook.com.
I haven't done that in a while I just noticed, so updating it now (check the "as of..." date,
once I am done here it will switch to today's date).

With that you can roughly see what has changed as the public changes are really the only ones
that would make it into the book.

What I am also planning on adding is my recent stuff on HBase sizing (www.slideshare.net/larsgeorge/hbase-sizing-notes)
to give some ideas on how to plan out a cluster.

Ideally, I would assume that mid of next year is a reasonable timeframe for a refresh - of
course all depending on how quickly we can get 1.0 out of the door :)

Lars

On Nov 29, 2012, at 2:53 PM, Michael Segel <michael_segel@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Until Lars write the 2nd Edition, its still the best book out there talking about HBase.

> (I think he's waiting for all those royalty checks to stop coming in. :-P  JUST KIDDING
LARS!)

> In all seriousness, the core functionality won't change, and by this I mean that the
basic framework to HBase will not change.  Or change fast enough that it wound't be covered
in the next edition.

> Right now the 3-4 must have's on your book shelf are all O'Riley books : Tom White (3rd
Ed) Hadoop,  (Dean, Ed,  Jason) Hive, Lars HBase, and Gates Pig.