hbase-user mailing list archives

From Gregory Alan Bolcer <g...@bolcer.org>
Subject Re: recommended nodes
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2012 17:33:49 GMT
You take a raw disk performance hit with LVM in exchange for
resizability and partionability.

My biggest issue was that the internal SAS/SATA raid controller in my
Dell T7400 wasn't update-able to properly use the 3T disks.   Updating
to the LSI card turned out to be a great hidden surprise for performance
and simplicity.

LSI MegaRAID 9260-4 6Gb/sw/ 512MB cache
Dual 128GB OCZ4 SSD RAID-0 boot
4 x 3Terabyte RAID-0 data, xfs
Cloudera CDH 4.1.1

On 11/28/2012 9:26 AM, Jean-Marc Spaggiari wrote:
> Hi Mike,
> Helped a lot. Just pointed me that not any of my nodes is correct ;)
> But now I know which way to go.
> Regarding SATA II vs SATA III is there a big difference? I found many
> JBOD cards working with SATAII but I did not found any (at good price)
> which is managing SATA III..
> Or will LVM be able to replace a JBOD card? In the documentation it's
> saying that LVM is suitable for "Creating single logical volumes of
> multiple physical volumes or entire hard disks (somewhat similar to
> RAID 0, but more similar to JBOD), allowing for dynamic volume
> resizing.". This is what we want to achieve here, right?
> JM
greg@bolcer.org, http://bolcer.org, c: +1.714.928.5476

View raw message