hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Whiting <je...@qualtrics.com>
Subject Re: Region server heap used memory usage?
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2012 17:07:15 GMT
So are you looking at the total process size (e.g. top) or are you looking at the amount of
memory
the jvm says it is using (e.g. jmap -heap <pid>)?

If you are looking at the process size (top) jvm doesn't ever give memory back so over time
the
process will just get bigger and bigger as it will spike in size before garbage collection
can kick
in an free enough memory.  If you are looking at jvm memory used then it will use the memory
you
said + everything else "in flight".  Stuff "in flight" includes any memory for the IPC running,

memory for return values, memory for compactions, memory for general bookkeeping, etc.  The
biggest
ones would be return values (and put values) for IPC and memory used for compactions.

~Jeff

--
Jeff Whiting
Qualtrics Senior Software Engineer