hbase-user mailing list archives

From Lars George <lars.geo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene instead of HFiles?
Date Fri, 05 Oct 2012 09:11:35 GMT
Hi Otis,

My initial reaction was, "interesting idea". On second thoughts though I do not see how this
makes more sense compared to what we have now. HFiles combined with Bloom filters are fast
to look up anyways. Adding Lucene as another "Storage Engine" (getting us close to Voldemort
or MySQL with replaceable storage backends) does seem to not add any value, and more so, might
even have a few drawbacks. Especially range scans will suffer, as HFiles and their block oriented
layout plus caching makes for really fast I/O. Lucene is for search, not xyzbytes of data
transfers. And simply replacing the block index and Blooms with Lucene is also I think overkill.
Just saying.

Lars