hbase-user mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <lhofha...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: HBase vs. HDFS
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2012 01:05:01 GMT
You probably executed 120k next() RPC against your server, unless you enabled scanner caching.
(On a related note, we should probably not default this to 1, but something more sensible,
like 10 or 100).

-- Lars

----- Original Message -----
From: Juan P. <gordoslocos@gmail.com>
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Sent: Monday, October 1, 2012 4:01 PM
Subject: HBase vs. HDFS

Hi guys,
I'm trying to get familiarized with HBase and one thing I noticed is that
reads seem to very slow. I just tried doing a "scan 'my_table'" to get 120K
records and it took about 50 seconds to print it all out.

In contrast "hadoop fs -cat my_file.csv" where my_file.csv has 120K lines
completed in under a second.

Is that possible? Am I missing something about HBase reads?

Thanks,
Joni