hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jeroen Hoek <jer...@lable.org>
Subject Local debugging (possibly with Maven and HBaseTestingUtility?)
Date Fri, 07 Sep 2012 07:57:47 GMT

We are developing a web-application that uses HBase as database, with
Tomcat as application server. Currently, our server-side code can act
as a sort of NoSQL abstraction-layer for either HBase or Google
AppEngine. HBase is used in production, AppEngine mainly for testing
and demo deployments.

Our current development setup is centred around Eclipse, and local
testing and debugging is done by running the application from Eclipse,
which launches the Jetty application server and connects to a local
AppEngine database persisted to a single file in the WEB-INF
directory. This allows the developers to easily test new features
against an existing (local) database that is persisted as long you
don't throw away the binary file yourself.

We would like to be able to do the same thing with HBase. So far I
have seen examples of HBaseTestingUtility being used in unit tests
(usually with Maven), but while that covers unit-testing, I have not
been able to find a way to run a local, persistent faux-HBase cluster
like AppEngine does. Is there a recommended way of doing this?

The reason for wanting to be able to test locally like this is to
avoid the overhead of running a local VM with HBase or having to
connect to a remote test-cluster when developing.

Kind regards,

Jeroen Hoek

View raw message