hbase-user mailing list archives

From Bruno Dumon <br...@ngdata.com>
Subject Re: HBase and Lily?
Date Fri, 28 Sep 2012 09:34:21 GMT
Hi,

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 10:58 PM, Jason Huang <jason.huang@icare.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am exploring HBase & Lily and I have a few starter questions hoping
> to get some help from users in this group who had tried that before:
>
> (1) Do I need to post all the HBase table contents to Lily (treat Lily
> as another DataStore) in order to enable the index and search
> functionality? If so, that's going to be another big storage issue
> (and duplicate storage?)

Yes, Lily provides an abstraction on top of HBase and you need to do
everything through that. It doesn't have to be duplicate storage, just
store it in Lily only.

I understand that you want to use some of Lily's index feeding
functionality without using all of Lily. Currently that's not possible,
though we're looking into that for the future.

> (2) Should I always only allow one way update from Clients -> HBase ->
> Lily? I want to use HBase as the data store and use Lily only as a
> plug-in tool to help search. I want HBase to only accept updates from
> Clients (not from Lily). Is there any update from Lily to HBase
> required (in order to enable the search and index functionality)?

See above. To use Lily, clients need to talk to the Lily API, and Lily
handles everything underneath.

> (3) Since Lily is not an Apache project - do you know if it's under
> Apache 2.0 license? We may need to extend it with our own APIs. Do we
> "have to" give our APIs back to them? We love sharing but some of our
> APIs may be under different agreements and can't be shared.

Yes, Lily's license is Apache 2.

--
Bruno Dumon
NGDATA - Making Sense of Data