hbase-user mailing list archives

From Ulrich Staudinger <ustaudin...@activequant.com>
Subject Re: Local debugging (possibly with Maven and HBaseTestingUtility?)
Date Mon, 10 Sep 2012 07:45:46 GMT
Hi there,

my AQ Master Server might be of interest to you .... I have an embedded
HBase server in it, it's very very straight forward to use:

What I essentially do is described here:

It is really blunt, but works flawless. Performance is of course not
super-great and it doesn't replicate, etc. I use it frequently to get the
ActiveQuant framework up and running on a new machine.

Maybe it helps,

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 9:12 AM, Jeroen Hoek <jeroen@lable.org> wrote:

> 2012/9/7 n keywal <nkeywal@gmail.com>:
> > You can use HBase in standalone mode? Cf.
> > http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#standalone_dist?
> > I guess you already tried and it didn't work?
> With stand-alone mode I assume you mean installing HBase locally and
> work with that?
> The problem with installing HBase directly on the developer laptop's
> OS is that this is limits you to the version installed at any one
> time. When writing software that uses the HBase client API it is
> sometimes necessary to switch between versions. For example, one day I
> might be working on a feature for our next release, based on
> Cloudera's CDH4 version of HBase, the next day I might have to switch
> back to CDH3, because that runs on production and a sudden hotfix is
> needed, and at the end of the week I might want to try out some of the
> new features in HBase 0.94.1.
> This is one of the reasons why the HBaseTestingUtility approach via
> Maven looks nice, but it lacks persistence.
> Another problem is that while I can install HBase easily on my
> GNU/Linux laptop, my colleagues run mostly Mac OS X and Windows. A
> solution that depends on the Java toolchain (Maven and friends) rather
> than the OS seems preferable.
> The main reason why we are still supporting AppEngine as well as HBase
> is the ease with which you can run a local Jetty application server
> backed by a file-backed AppEngine instance with one click from
> Eclipse.
> Jeroen Hoek

Ulrich Staudinger

Connect online: https://www.xing.com/profile/Ulrich_Staudinger