hbase-user mailing list archives

From Tom Brown <tombrow...@gmail.com>
Subject Performance of scan setTimeRange VS manually doing it
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2012 21:52:28 GMT
When I query HBase, I always include a time range. This has not been a
problem when querying recent data, but it seems to be an issue when I
query older data (a few hours old). All of my row keys include the
timestamp as part of the key (this value is the same as the HBase
timestamp for the row).  I recently tried an experiment where I
manually re-seek to the possible row (based on the timestamp as part
of the row key) instead of using "setTimeRange" on my scan object and
was amazed to see that there was no degradation for older data.

Can someone postulate a theory as to why this might be happening? I'm
happy to provide extra data if it will help you theorize...

Is there a downside to stopping using "setTimeRange"?

--Tom