hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: batch update question
Date Tue, 04 Sep 2012 20:00:22 GMT
On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 2:13 AM, Lin Ma <linlma@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> I am reading the book "HBase, the definitive guide", at the beginning of
> chapter 3, it is mentioned in order to reduce performance impact for
> clients to update the same row (lock contention issues for automatic
> write), batch update is preferred. My questions is, for MR job, what are
> the batch update methods we could leverage to resolve the issue? And for
> API client, what are the batch update methods we could leverage to resolve
> the issue?

Do you actually have a problem where there is contention on a single row?

Use methods like
http://hbase.apache.org/apidocs/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/client/HTable.html#put(java.util.List)
or the batch methods listed earlier in the API.  You should set
autoflush to false too:
http://hbase.apache.org/apidocs/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/client/HTableInterface.html#isAutoFlush()

Even batching, a highly contended row might hold up inserts... but for
sure you actually have this problem in the first place?

St.Ack