hbase-user mailing list archives

From Eric Czech <e...@nextbigsound.com>
Subject Re: Key formats and very low cardinality leading fields
Date Mon, 03 Sep 2012 19:58:51 GMT
With regards to:

> If you have 3 region servers and your data is evenly distributed, that
> mean all the data starting with a 1 will be on server 1, and so on.

Assuming there are multiple regions in existence for each prefix, why
would they not be distributed across all the machines?

In other words, if there are many regions with keys that generally
start with 1, why would they ALL be on server 1 like you said?  It's
my understanding that the regions aren't placed around the cluster
according to the range of information they contain so I'm not quite
following that explanation.

Putting the higher cardinality values in front of the key isn't
entirely out of the question, but I'd like to use the low cardinality
key out front for the sake of selecting rows for MapReduce jobs.
Otherwise, I always have to scan the full table for each job.