hbase-user mailing list archives

From Eric Czech <e...@nextbigsound.com>
Subject Key formats and very low cardinality leading fields
Date Mon, 03 Sep 2012 17:31:19 GMT
Hi everyone,

I was curious whether or not I should expect any write hot spots if I
structured my composite keys in a way such that the first field is a
low cardinality (maybe 30 distinct values) value and the next field
contains a very high cardinality value that would not be written

More concisely, I want to do this:

Given one number between 1 and 30, write many millions of rows with
keys like <number chosen> : <some generally distinct, non-sequential

Would there be any problem with the millions of writes happening with
the same first field key prefix even if the second field is largely

Thank you!

View raw message