hbase-user mailing list archives

From Guillaume Gardey <guillaume.gar...@mendeley.com>
Subject Re: Fixing badly distributed table manually.
Date Tue, 04 Sep 2012 15:34:41 GMT
Hello,

> a) What is the easiest way to get an overview of how a table is distributed
> across regions of a cluster? I guess I could search .META. but I haven't
> figured out how to use filters from shell.
> b) What constitutes a "badly distributed" table and how can I re-balance
> manually?
> c) Is b) needed at all? I know that HBase does its balancing automatically
> behind the scenes.

I have found that http://bobcopeland.com/blog/2012/04/graphing-hbase-splits/  is a good source
of information/tools to look at regions balancing in the cluster and investigate it.

> As for a) I tried running this script:
>
> https://github.com/Mendeley/hbase-scripts/blob/master/list_regions.rb
>
> like so:
>
> hbase org.jruby.Main ./list_regions.rb <_my_table>
>
> but I get
>
> ArgumentError: wrong number of arguments (1 for 2)
>  (root) at ./list_regions.rb:60
>
> If someone more proficient notices an obvious fix, I'd be glad to hear
> about it.

Concerning https://github.com/Mendeley/hbase-scripts , I am afraid that this is a repository
that is no longer maintained and was written for old releases of hbase (cdh2 I believe). There's
no plan to upgrade it to newer releases.

Cheers
---
Guillaume