hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Espinoza,Carlos" <espino...@oclc.org>
Subject Getting scans to timeout
Date Thu, 27 Sep 2012 18:45:43 GMT
Hi

Thanks for you help. I've been doing this in a pseudo-distributed
hbase-0.92.1 environment with one region server. I'm trying to scan a
table and see it timeout. I'm trying to recreate a scenario where the RS
is not responding (for instance due to NIC failure). So I've been
issuing a 'kill -STOP' to the region server, and I expected the client
to timeout but instead it just blocks at HTable.getScanner(). There is
no output, no retries, nothing. I understand that I'm pausing the
execution on the region server, but from a client perspective, I'm
thinking that this should not matter.

My question is, is this a fair test? And if it is, any idea on how I can
get it to not block? I've been playing around with client side settings,
but no success. I've tried these settings (10sec)

conf.setInt("hbase.rpc.timeout", 10000);

conf.setInt("hbase.client.operation.timeout", 10000);

I've also tried these

HBaseClient.setSocketTimeout(this.conf, 10000);

HBaseClient.setPingInterval(this.conf, 10000);

This is the jstack output of my application after I "STOP" the region
server

"main" prio=10 tid=0x000000005c812000 nid=0x594e in Object.wait()
[0x00000000410c4000]

   java.lang.Thread.State: WAITING (on object monitor)

      at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)

      - waiting on <0x00002aaae205ee80> (a
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseClient$Call)

      at java.lang.Object.wait(Object.java:485)

      at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseClient.call(HBaseClient.java:904)

      - locked <0x00002aaae205ee80> (a
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseClient$Call)

      at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.WritableRpcEngine$Invoker.invoke(WritableRpc
Engine.java:150)

      at $Proxy4.openScanner(Unknown Source)

      at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.ScannerCallable.openScanner(ScannerCallab
le.java:120)

      at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.ScannerCallable.call(ScannerCallable.java
:76)

      at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.ScannerCallable.call(ScannerCallable.java
:39)

      at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.HConnectionManager$HConnectionImplementat
ion.getRegionServerWithRetries(HConnectionManager.java:1325)

      at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.HTable$ClientScanner.nextScanner(HTable.j
ava:1246)

      at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.HTable$ClientScanner.initialize(HTable.ja
va:1169)

      at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.HTable.getScanner(HTable.java:670)

      at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.HTablePool$PooledHTable.getScanner(HTable
Pool.java:381)

      at
org.oclc.higgins.hbase.util.HBaseUtils.getHBaseRegions(HBaseUtils.java:9
5)

      at
org.oclc.higgins.hbase.snoop.Snoop.getCatalogRowsGroupedByRegionServer(S
noop.java:392)

      at org.oclc.higgins.hbase.snoop.Snoop.watch(Snoop.java:318)

      at org.oclc.higgins.hbase.snoop.Snoop.main(Snoop.java:278)

      at
a:39)

      at
Impl.java:25)