hbase-user mailing list archives

From Pankaj Misra <pankaj.mi...@impetus.co.in>
Subject HBase BatchMutations - HOT Region Problem
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2012 06:15:48 GMT
Dear All,

I am using HBASE 0.94.1 with Hadoop 0.23.1. I have written a multi-threaded thrift client
to load the data into HBASE using BatchMutations. The size of each batch is 1000 rows and
the table in HBASE is split into 10 regions. The rows are increasing incrementally(0...999999)
with offsets applied for each of the threads(0..99999, 100000...199999, 200000...299999, ...),
so in theory every thread is expected to write in different region. The individual regions
are wide, i.e. every region is expected to store about 100000 rows, so this makes it a total
of 1000000 rows across all the regions.

I am using thrift server/client and only 1 region server as per the default HBase setup.

So if I spawn 10 threads with offsets applied accordingly I was expecting the regions to be
getting parallely filled up which does not seem to be the case. All the inserts pile into
the the same region which make the writes inefficient due to frequent compacting cycles blocking
all the threads. If the threads would have been writing to different regions, this problem
could have been much smaller.

I am not sure if I am missing out on anything, any ideas would be very helpful.

Thanks and Regards
Pankaj Misra

Impetus Ranked in the Top 50 India's Best Companies to Work For 2012.

Impetus webcast 'Designing a Test Automation Framework for Multi-vendor Interoperable Systems'
available at http://lf1.me/0E/.

or interference.