hbase-user mailing list archives

From Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: how client location a region/tablet?
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2012 16:46:09 GMT
Lin,

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 10:10 PM, Lin Ma <linlma@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, Harsh!
>
> - "HBase currently keeps a single META region (Doesn't split it). " -- does
> it mean there is only one row in ROOT table, which points the only one META
> region?

Yes, currently this is the case. We disabled multiple META regions at
some point, I am unsure about why exactly but perhaps it was complex
to maintain that.

> - In Big Table, it seems they have multiple META regions (tablets), is it an
> advantage over HBase? :-)

Well, depends. A single META region hasn't proven as a scalability
bottleneck to anyone yet. A single META region can easily serve
millions of rows if needed, like any other region, and I've usually
not seen META table grow so big in deployments.

--
Harsh J