hbase-user mailing list archives

From Mohit Anchlia <mohitanch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: column based or row based storage for HBase?
Date Sun, 05 Aug 2012 16:08:13 GMT
On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 6:04 AM, Lin Ma <linlma@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I am wondering whether HBase is using column based storage or row based
> storage?
>
>    - I read some technical documents and mentioned advantages of HBase is
>    using column based storage to store similar data together to foster
>    compression. So it means same columns of different rows are stored
> together;

Probably what you read was in context of Column Families. HBase has concept
of column family similar to Google's bigtable. And the store files on disk
is per column family. All columns of a given column family are in one store
file and columns of different column family is a different file.

>    - But I also learned HBase is a sorted key-value map in underlying
>    HFile. It uses key to address all related columns for that key (row),
> so it
>    seems to be a row based storage?

HBase stores entire row together along with columns represented by
KeyValue. This is also called cell in HBase.