hbase-user mailing list archives

From Brian Zambrano <bri...@eventbrite.com>
Subject Are Apache HBase and Cloudera HBase compatible?
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2012 19:55:26 GMT
At work we are attempting to do the following:

- Run Elastic MapReduce jobs via Amazon, which freezes Hadoop at version
0.20.205
- Write output to HBase running on EC2, specifically, 0.92.1-cdh4.0.1 from
Cloudera

What I've discovered so far is my WordCount test appears to work when I
package Apache HBase 0.92.1 in my Hadoop job (via maven). I'm scared that
this is working accidentally and that may blow up as my HBase usage matures
(it's just doing basic Puts now).

However, when I package HBase 0.92.1-cdh4.0.1 in my Hadoop job, I get a
ClassNotFoundException:

https://emr-qa.eventbrite.com.s3.amazonaws.com/logs/j-RWJ75VR11SLB/steps/1/stderr

So, it appears that Hadoop 0.20.205 and HBase 0.92.1-cdh4.0.1 don't like
each other.  Since Hadoop 0.20.205 and Apache HBase 0.92.1 appear to work
together:

- Does the Apache HBase jar play nicely with the CDH Hbase server?
- Is mixing versions/distributions like this is horrible idea?

BZ