hbase-user mailing list archives

From Lin Ma <lin...@gmail.com>
Subject column based or row based storage for HBase?
Date Sun, 05 Aug 2012 13:04:26 GMT
Hi guys,

I am wondering whether HBase is using column based storage or row based
storage?

   - I read some technical documents and mentioned advantages of HBase is
   using column based storage to store similar data together to foster
   compression. So it means same columns of different rows are stored together;
   - But I also learned HBase is a sorted key-value map in underlying
   HFile. It uses key to address all related columns for that key (row), so it
   seems to be a row based storage?

It is appreciated if anyone could clarify my confusions. Any related
documents or code for more details are welcome.

thanks in advance,

Lin