hbase-user mailing list archives

From Amandeep Khurana <ama...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: md5 hash key and splits
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2012 23:30:55 GMT
Also, you might have read that an initial loading of data can be better
distributed across the cluster if the table is pre-split rather than
starting with a single region and splitting (possibly aggressively,
depending on the throughput) as the data loads in. Once you are in a stable
state with regions distributed across the cluster, there is really no
benefit in terms of spreading load by managing splitting manually v/s
letting HBase do it for you. At that point it's about what Ian mentioned -
predictability of latencies by avoiding splits happening at a busy time.