hbase-user mailing list archives

From J Mohamed Zahoor <jmo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using HBase serving to replace memcached
Date Wed, 22 Aug 2012 04:51:54 GMT

> I could be wrong. I think HFile index block (which is located at the end
> of HFile) is a binary search tree containing all row-key values (of the
> HFile) in the binary search tree. Searching a specific row-key in the
> binary search tree could easily find whether a row-key exists (some node in
> the tree has the same row-key value) or not. Why we need load every block
> to find if the row exists?

Hmm...
It is a multilevel index. Only the root Index's (Data, Meta etc) are loaded
when a region is opened. The rest of the tree (intermediate and leaf
index's) are present in each block level.
I am assuming a HFile v2 here for the discussion.
Read this for more clarity http://hbase.apache.org/book/apes03.html

Nice discussion. You made me read lot of things. :-)
Now i will dig in to the code and check this out.

./Zahoor