hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Slow full-table scans
Date Sun, 12 Aug 2012 08:17:24 GMT
On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 7:04 AM, Gurjeet Singh <gurjeet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Am I missing something ? Is there a way to optimize this ?

You've checked out the perf section of the refguide?

http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#performance

And have you read the postings by the GBIF lads starting with this one:

http://gbif.blogspot.ie/2012/02/performance-evaluation-of-hbase.html

The boys have done a few blog postings on what they did to get HBase
scans working fast enough for their needs.  Its good reading because
they tell it like a detective story figuring where the frictions were
and how they measured it and then undid them, one by one.

> I guess a general question I have is whether HBase is good datastore
> for storing many medium sized (~50GB), dense datasets with lots of
> columns when a lot of the queries require full table scans ?

Yes.

St.Ack