hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: sorting by value
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2012 22:53:40 GMT
On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Pamecha, Abhishek <apamecha@x.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I probably know the usual answer but are there any tricks to do some sort of sort by
value in HBase. The only option I know is to somehow embed value in the key part. The value
is not a timestamp but a normal number.

> I want to find out, say, top 10 from a range of columns. The range could be millions
of columns. The range is dynamic for the most part.

> Any pointers?

HBase sorts by rows and then within a row by column family, column
qualifier, type, then timestamp.  You cannot have it natively sort
values for you, not unless you make the values be rows and/or columns
in another, separate table.

St.Ack